A forum post over at tonyx86.com has a Hackintosh system running the new Xeon E5 processors. The CPUs are expected to be in the next update to the Mac Pro. The specific CPUs used are dual Xeon E5 2690, which includes 8 cores each at 2.9 GHz. So, a 16 core machine.
Geekbench scores came in at 41,000 running in 64-bit mode under Windows 7. Unfortunately the forum poster hasn't gotten the OS X side running to full capacity yet. Likely, things will work better once Apple pushes out an OS update to accompany new Mac Pros.
To give some perspective, the current top end Mac Pro is officially recorded at 24,159. The current top end iMac is listed at 12,575. Such a Mac Pro upgrade suggests some impressive CPU crunching. But, hold on to your wallet, the E5 2690 retails for $2040 each. That's around $600 more than the original MSRP of the X5670 in the current top of the line Mac Pro. Even with volume discounts, Apple will tack on their margin, which all suggests the new Xeon E5 processors may push Mac Pro prices even higher.
- Podcast: App Store Get vs Free, Pappy Van Winkle, CoD, Plus More!
- New Twelve South adjustable HiRise Deluxe matches your device
- Apple’s Eddie Cue goes shopping with Apple Pay
- OWC announces ThunderBay 4 mini portable Thunderbolt 2 RAID
- Video: Did you know your Mac is tracking all your downloads? Here's how to fix that.
- Site tracks Apple Stores replacing bent iPhones
- OWC announces 1 TB upgrades for MacBook Air
- Apple website deregisters iMessage on devices
- Trolling AirDrop
- Microsoft rolls out new iPhone Offices, updates for iPad
- Twelve South releases SurfacePad for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Mac OS X Hints site future uncertain
- Jawbone UP3 adds on more sensors
- Macworld looks at Pioneer's CarPlay upgrade
- $99 iPhone 6 expected at Sam's Club
- Microsoft announces Office 2015, releases Updated Outlook
- Trent Reznor working on project for Apple
- Seth Rogan expected to play Woz in upcoming Steve Jobs movie
- Tim Cook on being gay
- Twelve South bring BookArc stand to Mac Pro
- Walgreens and Apple Pay
- Fitbit bring out three new fitness wristband
- Apple Pay sparks rift between merchants and credit cards
- Podcast: End of Macworld Expo? Mac Hack, Jobs movie + more
- Tool and guides emerge to upgrade older Macs for Yosemite Continuity/Handoff
Browse and search for more articles