A forum post over at tonyx86.com has a Hackintosh system running the new Xeon E5 processors. The CPUs are expected to be in the next update to the Mac Pro. The specific CPUs used are dual Xeon E5 2690, which includes 8 cores each at 2.9 GHz. So, a 16 core machine.
Geekbench scores came in at 41,000 running in 64-bit mode under Windows 7. Unfortunately the forum poster hasn't gotten the OS X side running to full capacity yet. Likely, things will work better once Apple pushes out an OS update to accompany new Mac Pros.
To give some perspective, the current top end Mac Pro is officially recorded at 24,159. The current top end iMac is listed at 12,575. Such a Mac Pro upgrade suggests some impressive CPU crunching. But, hold on to your wallet, the E5 2690 retails for $2040 each. That's around $600 more than the original MSRP of the X5670 in the current top of the line Mac Pro. Even with volume discounts, Apple will tack on their margin, which all suggests the new Xeon E5 processors may push Mac Pro prices even higher.
- New Steve Jobs book announced
- Apple promotes iPhone 6 photo gallery
- Tim Cook talks up customer privacy
- iPhone design and battery life
- Apple event scheduled for March 9th
- Pebble announces follow-up Time watch
- Report: Apple retooling in-store genius bar appointments
- YouTube launches family-friendly app for kids
- Apple announces two new data centers in Europe
- New Apple ad features Martin Scorsese and iPads
- Podcast: Apple Car and iPhone 6 to 6+ upgrade?
- Office Suite for iOS adds iCloud storage
- Modern Family episode shot on iPhones, iPads, MacBook
- Dropbox adds new iOS 8 extension
- New Yorker profile highlights Ive's leadership
- Apple Car rumor hits the right checkboxes
- Two-factor verification now active on iMessage and FaceTime
- Gassée on Apple redefining what's possible
- Apple looks to power California footprint with 25-year solar deal
- Apple uses store shelves to control iPhone designs leaks
- Podcast: Super Bowl, Apple Photos, New Verizon Rates, Plane Crash App
- New Photos app available in pre-release of OS X 10.10.3
- Report: Apple pitching new plan to TV industry
- Latest Verizon promo trims pricing on some plans
- Report: Jobs bio movie expected October 9th
Browse and search for more articles